If I was 17 Again








It seems like ages ago when I wore my college uniform, I was in all white. I had a hard time keeping it that way as I made my way to the University, it always rained and my pencil-cut skirt seemed to manage to rip itself up to my booty. Good thing I have my mini sewing kit tucked away in my bag. I was the only girl in the last row and I'd hate it when the boys would snicker and made fun of me.

I also wondered how I was going to cram all those medical words and chemical equations in my tired head and keep up with my professors. Flunking is never an option. We started out as 46 students in our class and sometime before the last semester ended we were trimmed down to 32. Fourteen students either dropped out or was forced out. Getting good grades and not flunking my subjects were all that was on my mind - err and also how to rinse out all the chlorine and drying my long black hair after of swimming class --- aaarghh! that was probably one of the hardest part of college life. LOL!

And then there was Medical School. That was the ultimate goal. Boys were just not an option at that time, although there were a lot of good-looking medical students in my building. There just wasn't time for that. I could barely look up while I walked to my classes! My books were sooo darned heavy. All those subjects with "-ology" in the end. I had tons of those.

So today, I was thinking and looking back (one tends to do that a lot when one gets older I guess) - I wondered what would I tell myself if I had the chance to talk to "me". And I figured I had a lot of things to tell myself. I made a little list.

1. Relax - I was a little uptight at that age, I did not socialize a lot. Well partly because my dad was a little strict and secondly I was not so into it too. I was a little hard on myself then. I was always in a rush.

2. Listen to your mom and dad when they say that "Time is Gold". Procrastination in any stage in life is never good.

3. Don't be in a hurry all the time. Enjoy the moment and savor every little experience you get out of life. Who knows you might need to pick that memory out at a later time. I guess this happens when you don't get lesson no. 2.

4. Save, save, save. Save your allowance for important stuff. Something that could enhance your self-esteem. Avoid spending your money on non-essentials like make up or gadgets.

5. Don't be in a hurry to grow up. Your time will come. Enjoy the moment while someonelse is in charge of paying the bills. Growing up means more responsibilities and that includes paying bills. Being young and learning the ropes will build your character. Be friends with people who are independent, they have a lot of experiences to share.

6. Don't get credit cards. If you know how to spend your money wisely and you can live within your means, then for goodness sakes don't get that credit card. If your spending gets out of control - you could head to a financial meltdown in the future. Trust me steer clear.

7. Soak up all the wisdom the elders are imparting to you. Listen to dad's talk on choosing well whether he's talking about finding the right partner in life or choosing the right friends. He will also say "never giving up your ideals". And then there's mom's words on managing your time well and the wisdom of loving with all your heart but always leaving something for yourself "just-in-case".

8. Be confident. Don't be easily intimidated by other people. They are also afraid of new things just like you. They just know how to hide it better. Believe me I met a lot of people like this and they also have high positions in the corporate world.

9. Love yourself. Don't let others walk all over you. You have your own identity and your own special talents and gifts. Learn how to use it and it will serve you well. That hobby may make you a millionaire someday. Remember those who know their passion, never had to work a day in their lives.

10. Trust God and your family. They will love you unconditionally whether you have "unclear" skin, wavy hair, a fashion disaster or a social outcast. They will love you no-matter-what. And you know after all these - their love is all that matters.

We may not be able to turn back the clock and be 17 again but hey we were able to taste the elixir of life. It's our turn to guide that someone who is lost and finding themselves amongst crowd.


And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. ~ Abraham Lincoln

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just can't agree more with all your ten suggestions....we should really know, where to draw the line, but I find with today's generation they are splurging than ever before and yes we should really savour every moment of our life, the past is golden but will never come back and yes if you have the support of the family and belief in God you can really do anything in life...I can only say "cherish the moment"!
Jackie said…
Hello my dear lovely friend! I have missed you and your wonderful out look on life so very very much!

This is an exceptional message and your Father's Day post is beautiful!!

I hope you are doing well. I just know you are.

Wow it's been way too long!!

Hugs and kisses!
Jackie:-)
Tall Guy said…
Those are some good points that you have mentioned there!!
louann said…
That is a good list. But I couldn't agree more with "Listen to your parents." About anything actually. They ALWAYS know whats best for us. ALWAYS.
Sophiagurl said…
@@@flyingstars - Hi Kalyan, I was feeling a little nostalgic and I thought talking to myself (the 17-year-old me) - would be really cool. I had a lot of things to say. I agree cherishing the moment is really important.
Sophiagurl said…
@@@Jackie - Wow, seeing your comment here made me sooooo happy :) I missed you sooo much. I am glad you liked my post as well as the post I made for my dad...that was a real special one for me too. Hugggggs!
Sophiagurl said…
@@@Survivor - thanks and I am glad you think so too. :)
Sophiagurl said…
@@@Louann - LOL! listening to mom and dad...i agree wholeheartedly how important that is :)

Popular Posts