What do you wanna be when you grow up?



i'm almost finished reading this book by Bo Sanchez, a preacher in blue jeans, a missionary, writer and he writes good books too. i would say books that really matter and makes a lot of sense. this is his recent book and i was quite astounded at how well he tackled the issue. i thought he pretty much hit the bullseye! i guess i was the perfect audience. read this post and the book and you'll know why.

as a child growing up i was never driven to do things because of money. it's not that i was born rich, not to care, it was because i somehow associated wealth to some pretty bad things and feelings. i have known some rich people who liked looking down on people who don't have it, it changes one's outlook of life - for the worst, it makes one so greedy that they don't think about anything else but money. so you see money didn't look all that appealing to me then.

both my parents have always provided for us. and one thing i learned from them is that they may not always give us what we wanted, that new toy, those Barbies... but one thing they did give? is what we have always needed. love, food, shelter, clothing and happiness. everything a child needed to grow up well. we were not really deprived, there were toys, a lot of them too. but if we wanted things that we sometimes don't really need, we had to work for it. we earn it by doing chores, getting good grades and just being our good self. not bad eh? that way, getting those toys through hard work helped us appreaciate it more. we knew what we had to go through before we got it, so we took better care of it.

as i was growing up and about to go to college, i always wanted to be a doctor and a writer. i was torn between those two loves. for as long as i can remember, i have always wanted to be a doctor. my mom said as soon as i can talk i have talked non-stop about becoming a doctor. i was fascinated by science, the human body, the cure of diseases. when i play pretend with my sister and cousins i always wanted to be the doctor. but the wake up call came when i finished my pre-med course. going to med school was expensive. really expensive. more than what my parents can afford. although a lot of my relatives were more than willing to support me, it dawned to me that MONEY is essential not a frivolity. It was a vehicle that i needed ride to arrive at my future. it shocked me that i needed money after all.

no, i did not end up becoming a doctor. i did not want to impose on my parents. but i came very close to becoming one. and as a mom i get to play doctor most of the time=) now, i'm pursuing my other love...writing.

this book has showed me that i needed to do a lot of re-thinking. my husband and i are paid well in our jobs. so i said to myself, i could make money work for me not against me. you guys should read it and i promise you, you won't regret doing it.

for my ending i give you a quote from the book, "you are the way you are because that's the way you want to be. if you really wanted to be any different, you would be in the process of changing right now". - Fred Smith.

Comments

Popular Posts