Letting Go...


Lansy tagged me to write an article about letting go. I don't know if I'm doing this right but here's an article I wrote for this meme.

Last weekend I was cleaning our upstairs bedroom, it was really hot and humid and I almost gave up the task because the heat is making me lazy. But I was determined to do it that day because I have been putting it off for quite some time now. I cannot put off any longer, the room is practically begging to be cleaned.

While I was rummaging through our things, I was surprised to realize how much junk we have accumulated over the years. I was torn between throwing them out, keeping them or giving it away. I was in a dilemma. Each item brings back memories and I was torn between common sense and the sentimental values attached to these items. Should I let go of the past or not?

My mind tells me that I have survived some years without realizing they were there at all, hiding under the other piles of things, waiting for someone to rediscover them. So what difference does it make if I threw it away?

Those junks are like the excess baggage we carry in our lives - fears, the past, old hang-ups that we can't seem to part with. Things and feelings that we hold on hoping that the people who were part of that past will not leave us. Little do we know that we don't totally leave people or feelings behind, we take a part of them with us and we also leave a part of ourselves behind.

Deciding that life is worth moving forward and shedding the past to make way for the future is something we all do everyday. Having the courage to actually grab the chance and do it is somethingelse. “Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

Throwing it away seemed a good idea. So with a heavy heart I put letters, papers, items of my past in a trash bag and never looked back. I decided to still keep some, those that were still usable. And after I did that, as if by magic, our room was transformed. Suddenly there were more spaces to move things around, the kids play area looked very nice indeed.

I'm beggining to like this letting go thing. “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou


Comments

Anonymous said…
Letting go. It's hard to do. Of things, of people, of harsh memories. It gets only a little easier as you get older! Thoughtful post. Thank you!
Ensharing said…
Thanks Sophia,for giving us golden words:
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
My best wishes.Have a nice week end.
Nancy Wu said…
Thanks so much Sophiagurl for such a wonderful sincere heart moving article! You have touched up one of the reasons to let go: Let go of the past which becomes burden or barrier for us to move toward a better life.

Thanks for writting this wonderful letting go meme. Btw, Your picture lets me laugh.

Cheers, Lansy
Sophiagurl said…
***Eclectic Life - Thanks Shelly, yes I do agree that letting go is not easy but the pain and the longing dulls up a bit as you grow older.

***Surjit - Thanks Surjit, I'm glad you liked my post today.

***Lansy - thank you for your kind words. God bless!
Anonymous said…
Hello Sophia,
Letting go. As time passes we all accumulate many bits and pieces that end up gathering dust. Some of these items are of great sentimental value to each individual, yet others see them as worthless junk.
Imagine a time when disaster strikes, as it sometimes does, and all is lost. Then what?
Well, we have our memories, both good and bad, and when you talk to your children as they grow each year you will be surprised at how much you do remember as you get older too. Some things are sad to remember, and set a tear in your eye, but that is also good for the sould because you haven't forgotten. Some things you just can't let go of.
As the sun sets the day is consigned to history, but the memories remain.
Have a wonderful weekend.
God Bless.
cotojo
http://cotojo.wordpress.com
Sophiagurl said…
Wow Colin, I am at a lost for words. that was a beautiful message. I agree that when all is lost, all we have is our memories. Have a wonderful weekend as well. thank you.
Sophiagurl said…
Thanks But, slowly but surely I feel lighter letting go of things only God can handle. =)
Anonymous said…
You are right, being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. Sometimes the best and perfect aren't always what makes you happy. I think what we all must pray for is a perfect heart, a heart that loves even the unlovable, a forgiving heart , a heart that sees that there are blessings amidst life's imperfectons.

Nice choice of photo for the post. I like it.
Sophiagurl said…
@@@Stillwaters - thank you stillwaters for your visit. yes we all need a heart that sees beyond life's imperfection, just imagine what a wonderful place our world would be. glad you liked the pic. God Bless!
Unknown said…
Hey..u know this was exactly how i was feeling while i went through those letters and other things i had accumulated over a period of time..the confusion prolonged..sometimes it was heart winning the battle and sometimes it was the mind.

Popular Posts