more than meets the eye...



“We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.” - Anais Nin

I love people watching. Whenever we are driving somewhere, I watch the people we pass by. I see some laughing, some are smiling, some seem to be shouting at someone, and someone is just sitting there - seemingly deep in thought. I wonder what's going on inside their minds. What are they worrying about? What makes them laugh? or cry?

When I see a beautiful house, I would always wonder if the people inside are as beautiful as the place they are living in. I wonder if the beautiful well-manicured lawn is an indication of how immaculate and clean their hearts are? Do they ever worry about anything? I guess not so much. They have everything it seems. What else could they possibly need?

In my job, I get to meet and talk to a lot of people. Some have a big sense of self-importance, some seem to always be the source of jokes around the place, some seem content and smiling and some looked always jittery and worried. The people I work with are good examples that what we see is not always what we get.

Getting to know them deeper I learned that that person who always made light jokes about everything had really great problems at home, some too painful to even talk about. And that person who looked always worried and jittery was scared of committing a mistake - because she was reprimanded hard when she was a child, that person always wanted confirmation that what she is doing is right. And that person who seem to think too much of what she can do? - really thought very little of herself and it was through boasting that she convinces herself that she is not so bad. And there is also that person, who everybody does not seem to get along with? She just wanted acceptance and being biting and testy is just a defence-mechanism she puts up so she won't get hurt when someone says not-so good things about her.

Everybody has a uniqueness that is ours and ours alone. How we live our life and how we deal with others make us who we are. When I meet new people I try to look deeper, what this person shows upfront may not always be what's inside.

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss.

I just love this song, from the movie - Charlotte's Web, it's called Ordinary Miracle by Sarah McLachlan.



We are all part of a miracle. A miracle called life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A lovely post.
I used to enjoy taking the tram home as there were so many people to be seen as we passed. Lots of tiny snippets of other people's lives.
Sophiagurl said…
"snippets of other people's lives" - that's what we see and that makes me realize I am not alone. thanks for visiting =)
Anonymous said…
Thats y everyone is just busy changing others...when they change the people leave them saying "U have changed"
surjit singh said…
This is the truth of life:
...“We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.” - Anais Nin
Sophia,you are a prolific writer.Some times I find lack of words to dscribe your creative thoughts and wonderful posts.God Bless you.
My best wishes.
Sophiagurl said…
thank you dream catcher for your comment, people do have a tendency to change people around them into their likeness.

surjit, i am extremely honored that you feel that way about my work. my best wishes to you too!
Anonymous said…
hi...again formalities huh...no thanks wanks ok..i say what i feel like..u need no thank me sis :)
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the lovely song. I used to people watch -- now I'm so busy watching my own, that I've lost that luxury. I miss it -- you learn so much about yourself when you do watch, learn and think.
Sophiagurl said…
good for you little brother - saying what you feel is your road to getting over what's putting you down. and i'm not being formal - sorry if you think i am.

i'm glad you loved the song like i did SusieJ.
Anonymous said…
Another great post my friend, very inspiring too. I watch people and I also talk to them, looking into their eyes, for they are the gateway to the soul and you can learn so much more. Listen to the young and old alike, for they all have their stories to tell, and many have a wonderful way of telling them. You see a glint in the eye, or maybe a tear as they tell their story. Sadly there are also those who will mould others into what they want them to be and not let them be who they are. We are all unique, and we are all but mere humans.
God Bless and have a great day
cotojo
http://cotojo.wordpress.com
Sophiagurl said…
thank you cotojo for adding your thoughts to my article. Have a great day too!

Popular Posts